The Choir has an open door policy and is always keen to welcome anyone to our practices on a Monday or Thursday evening. We have over many years been pleased to welcome visitors from all over the world to our Choir Hall in Mill Lane. However, we are particularly delighted to be able to invite guests from right on our doorstep, namely the Chepstow Welsh Society (Cymdeithas Gymraeg Cas-gwent a’r Cyffiniau). Many of the choir do not speak or understand much of the Welsh language, but that does not mean that we are any less Welsh (even our English members). We are proud of our Welsh Male Voice traditions and continue these with the inclusion of many pieces in the Welsh language.
As regrettably, one of the few South Wales choirs to have an extensive Welsh repertoire, we are proud to invite the Chepstow Welsh Society. This gives us an opportunity to show off our skills of singing in the Welsh medium and we hope that our visitors will be delighted by our performances. The content of the evening will also, hopefully demonstrate to the audience a little of how our performances are put together and show the dedication and hard work of the choristers to produce our wonderful sound.
The doors are open from 7-00pm on Thursday 26th September and entry is free to anyone who’d like to hear us. If you are a Welsh speaker yourself, why not come along and take the opportunity to socialise with other Welsh speakers. After our rehearsal, the bar will be open for anyone who wishes to stay and have a chat. I’m told there will be Welsh cakes as well! Does it get any better?
The following gives a brief description, aims and activities of the society.
Cymdeithas Gymraeg Cas-gwent a’r Cyffiniau
Dechreuwyd Cymdeithas Gymraeg Cas-gwent a’r Cyffiniau y llynedd ar ôl galw am weithgareddau cymdeithasol fod ar gael trwy gyfrwng y Gymraeg yn lleol.
Pwrpas y gymdeithas yw:
- Rhoi cyfle i gymdeithasu a sgwrsio yn y Gymraeg
- Codi ymwybyddiaeth o’r Gymraeg yn yr ardal
- Gwella cysylltiadau Cymreig a Chymraeg yn yr ardal
- Rhoi cyfle i siaradwyr o bob cefndir ieithyddol ymarfer yr iaith o fewn cymuned gefnogol a diogel
Aelodau’r gymdeithas yw:
- Siaradwyr rhugl
- Siaradwyr nad ydynt wedi defnyddio’r Gymraeg yn ddiweddar
- Dysgwyr o bob lefel a phrofiad
- Teuluoedd gyda phlant mewn ysgolion Cymraeg yr ardal
Cyfarfodydd yr ydym wedi eu cynnal yw:
- Cwis ddwyieithog
- Cwrw/coffi a chlonc yn y dafarn
- Cinio Nadolig
- Rhagor o glonc yn y dafarn!
- Teithiau cerdded o gwmpas yr ardal
Mae croeso cynnes yn aros amdanoch chi!
Chepstow Welsh Society
Chepstow Welsh Society was formed last year in order to fill the need for social activities through the medium of Welsh in the local area.
Purposes of the society are:
- To socialise and chat in Welsh
- To raise awareness of the Welsh language in the area
- To improve Welsh connections and networking locally
- To provide an opportunity for speakers of Welsh, at whatever level or confidence, to practise within a supportive and safe environment
Members of the society are:
- Fluent Welsh speakers
- Rusty Welsh speakers
- Welsh learners of all levels
- Families with children in Welsh medium education
Meetings we have held are:
- Quiz evening
- Chat evenings in local pubs
- Christmas lunch
- Guided walks around the local area
A very warm welcome awaits you at any of our events.