On Sunday, August 19th 2012, a number of choir members, friends and supporters intend to raise funds for the choir’s 50th Anniversary in 2013 by riding the 55 mile Taff Trail from Brecon to Cardiff.
- 8:00am – meet at Choir Hall
- 8:15am – mini-buses to Brecon
- 9:45am – arrive Brecon
- 10:00am – start ride
- 12:00pm – rest / food break
- 2:00pm – rest / food break
- 4:00pm – arrive Cardiff Bay
- 5:00pm – bus back to Caldicot
- 5:45pm – riders to congregate at Jubilee Way car park
- 6:00pm – arrive at Choir Hall
- 6:30pm – BBQ and entertainment at the Choir Hall
Currently we have 29 people who are interested in this challenge, but do feel free to get involved even if you don’t intend to ride. We need support staff to arrange and co-ordinate the logistics of the event.
The following choristers have confirmed their intention to ride:
- Leon Jones
- Graham Hughes
- Tony Griffiths
- Robert Brown
- Alyn Dawe
- Karl Gregory
- Anthony Howells
- Ron Powell
- Stephen Davies
- Grahame Morton
- Ron Griffiths
- There will also be a further 18 friends of the choir who will be partaking in the ride and collecting sponsorship for the 50th Anniversary in 2013.
- A number of choristers and supporters have also pledged their support for the ride and will be supporting the riders on the journey as medics, mechanics, food and drink providers etc. Other choristers and supporters will be driving mini-buses, vans for the bikes and providing the BBQ and entertainment.
- Practice runs have been organised and some riders have taken advantage of these which will be going on until the week before the actual ride. These are detailed below:
- Sunday, 3rd June (5pm) – Caldicot-Llanvair Discoed-Magor-Caldicot (20 miles)
- Sunday, 10th June (5pm) – Caldicot-Sudbrook-Shirenewton-Caldicot (15 miles)
- Sunday, 17th June (5pm) – Caldicot-Wentwood-Carrow Hill-Caldicot (18 miles)
- Sunday, 24th June (10:30am) – Caldicot-Redwick-Llanwern-Pencoed-Caldicot (25 miles)
- Saturday, 30th June (10:30am) – Forest of Dean Cycleway (24 miles)
- Sunday, 8th July (9:30am) – Strawberry Line (Yatton-Cheddar-Yatton) (30 miles)
- Sunday, 15th July (10:30am) – Caldicot-New Passage (Avonmouth)-Caldicot (30 miles)
- Sunday, 22nd July (8:30am) – Brecon-Pontsticill Reservoir-Brecon (Taff Trail) (30 miles)
- Sunday, 29th July (10:30am) – Caldicot-Sudbrook-Mounton-Chepstow-Shirenewton-Llanvair Discoed-Caldicot (27 miles)
- Sunday, 5th August (9:30am) – Pontypool-Blaenavon-Pontypool
- Sunday, 12th August (9:30am) – Llanfoist-Brynmawr-Llanfoist
Please keep an eye on this post as more details will be included as we get closer to the day.
Details of the route can be found on the Sustrans website: Taff Trail Route
Also on Facebook: Cycle Ride
ANY DONATIONS FOR SPONSORSHIP CAN BE PLEDGED IN PERSON / VIA EMAIL / THIS WEBSITE / OUR FACEBOOK PAGE.
CHOIR BIKE RIDE T-SHIRT
For cyclists and supporters – please let us know if you would like a commemorative T-shirt as soon as possible so we can judge on numbers and sizes for ordering – the price for each will be £7-50.
The T-shirt is of excellent cotton quality and will have the choir logo on the front left breast and the bike ride design on the back of the shirt.